CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:10:43 -0800

Yevgeniy,

Uncouplers like CCCP, FCCP, DNP can block mitochondrial ATP synthesis
by collapsing the proton gradient, but as Tobias and Carl point out,
many intracellular processes will quickly come to a halt as ATP
concentrations are consumed. Choosing a cell type that has a high
membrane impermeability, reducing the necessity of ATP pumps, and
supports a functional glycolytic pathway would seem to be crucial.
You might be able to drop the temperature to slow down metabolism as
well. To obtain meaningful data it would seem that you should monitor
a number of physiological parameters simultaneously including cell
volume, intracellular Ca++, PM potential, etc

Mario

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.