CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Sender:
From:
Sean Speese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:44:13 -0600

Hi all,
   Bit of an off topic question, but we do lots of immunos on small bits of
Drosophila tissue that always float on top of the fix due to the surface
tension.  We can use low amounts of triton (.01%) to overcome this, but I
would like to be able to leave detergents out until I am convinced the
fixation is good.  In some cases I would like to do staining of only things
on the cell surface, and thus need to leave detergents completely out of the
staining procedure.  Therefore, does anyone know of a good surfactant that
would break the surface tension but not permeabilize cells?

Thanks,
   Sean Speese