CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:59:32 -0800
From:
"Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell)" <[log in to unmask]>
base64
Sender:
Hi Sean,
Don't know of an alternative that can do what you want.  I would think that the same properties of a surfactant that make it one would also disturb lipid layers.

Aside from that, I would caution against the assumption that fixation without detergent allows only exterior staining.  The fixation process will also open holes in membrane and allow Ab to penetrate.  At least test it before committing to that route.  The best result I've had restricting immunostaining to a surface is to stain live material, then fix after washing.

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
Molecular and Cellular Biology
Univ. of Arizona
520-954-7053