CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:34:46 -0600
7bit
From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>

On 1/28/2011 12:56 AM, Julian Smith III wrote:

> Pardon if this is an ignorant question--why simultaneous scanning, when
> sequential scanning is likely to be what the users want to avoid
> bleedthrough?

You're right--in practice they'll usually want to use sequential scanning.

I guess my age is showing since I was worrying about something that most
confocals no longer require for sequential scanning!  --My rationale for
suggesting simultaneous scanning in this case was that with simultaneous
scanning they'll avoid having to worry about differences in the precise
position of the beam and the stage between scans.  That's probably not
so much of an issue in x-y, but it would be if they did a complete x-y-z
scan for each color, in sequence--which is what we had to do in the "old
days".  In any case, since we a priori know that the tetraspec beads are
multiple-labeled, bleed-through isn't much of an issue.

With a mirror scan it again wouldn't make much of a difference, as long
as each color were scanned before moving the z-position.  However, with
a mirror scan, you're looking at monochromatic laser light, so again
bleed-through isn't an issue.

Take care--

Martin

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991