CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:39:39 -0500
From:
Tim Feinstein <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Kathryn,

Have you invited Nikon and Olympus to bring systems for you to demo?  That will give you an excellent sense both of which system better suits you personal needs.  Equally important, it will also tell you what kind of service to expect in your area.  In my experience vendor service is an oft-overlooked 'intangible' that can make a microscope significantly more or less pleasant to own.

Also, have you decided on an inverted or an upright base?  If you choose to go inverted, I would consider the Nikon simply because of my preference for the Ti base unit.  The 'Perfect Focus System' (PFS) was by far the most effective focus-lock mechanism at the time that we shopped for a scope two years ago.  This mostly matters for live-cell time-lapse imaging, and it sounds like you don't plan to do much of that, but on the occasions that you do it makes a dramatic difference.  Note that new focus control tech comes out all the time, so Olympus may have a comparable system by now.

Best of luck!

Tim

Timothy Feinstein, PhD
University of Pittsburgh Dept. of Pharmacology
Pittsburgh, PA

**No commercial interest**