CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:04:27 -0800
From:
Kathryn Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Hi all;
	I really appreciate the comments sent comparing Olympus and Nikon confocals. We have other systems in our core from both manufacturers, so swapping objectives between systems doesn't give an edge to either. We are in so fortunate to have extremely excellent and prompt service from both companies...if only my centrifuge and incubator companies were so good. We are also in the enviable position of having money NOW to purchase, but in such a short time-frame, we don't have time to do a thorough, well-thought-out, proper and preferred side-by-side demo of each system. Both Olympus and Nikon are offering identical service contracts, identical lasers, and the same system configuration, for the same price.
	This will be an upright scope, to complement the numerous inverteds we have. I'm not looking to expand this system into live-cell, as we also have other systems for that need. This confocal will be a work-horse for fixed tissue, multi-color, multi-point/tiling. Speed, noise, transmission efficiency, and aberration correction  are my main concerns. We also have both software platforms in the building, so users have been exposed to both.
	What a wonderful position to be in. We can't lose. But I do want the best quality...which is why I turn to your advice, instead of a proper demo.

Kathy Spencer
The Scripps Research Institute
La Jolla, CA