CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:05:47 +1100
7bit
From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>

Hi John,

What about some small pond creatures slowed down in the usual goop - I've
forgotten what it's called, probably based on glycerol.  Something
recognisable as an organism - pollen is good, too, as suggested, and doesn't
need to be slowed down.  Pond life usually has some autofluorescence, or can
be stained lightly, and people can compare the dissector image (often a
small swimming dot) with details on the confocal.

Cleared and stained insect heads are pretty good on the confocal too.  Some
spectacular images from groups here are the nervous systems of various
creatures - even the nematode nervous system is beautiful.  These have
various FP-expression to highlight different systems, mostly olfactory,
given the interests of our colleagues in entomology.

I've found that people are interested that chlorophyll fluoresces red - and
if you also have a GFP torch and yellow glasses and can show them red (and
GFP-green) fluorescing plants in a dark alcove, that's usually pretty
interesting.  You do sometimes get the anti-GM questions, though, and if
your regulatory environment is anything like it is here, you'd have to do it
in a PC2 facility....  Alternatively, you can show the brighter red patches
in green and white variegated leaves.

cheers,
Rosemary

Dr Rosemary White