CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Sender:
From:
Philip Oshel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:16:15 -0500

i've used cotton plugs for this. Shove the cotton into the tube, down
into the fixative - the cotton wicks up fix and physically holds the
sample submerged in the fixative.
But I also suspect air in the trachea is what's keeping the tissue up
(if there is no exoskeleton on the samples, then I'd suspect waxy
lipids on the cuticle), so pulling a gentle vacuum should work. You
might have to use some vacuum/vent/vacuum/vent cycles.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel
Microscopy Facility Supervisor