CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:30:27 -0800
From:
"Boswell, Carl A - (cboswell)" <[log in to unmask]>
base64
Sender:
Hi Sean,
Sorry for the delay.

All the staining results I"ve referred to used 3% formaldehyde (before or after Ab treatment) which was made from powder no more than an hour before use.   I can't say what the mechanism of leaking is, but osmolarity and pH were specifically controlled for.  My guess is that the cross-linking, hence denaturation, of membrane proteins disrupts  the normal interaction between lipids and those proteins, and provides an access for larger molecules across the barrier.

I may not be clear on your procedure.  If you dissect the brains, you would expect an injury response, hence the problem with obtaining a good negative control.  When you refer to "live brains", is that tissue still in the animal?

Overnight incubation of sample with Ab at 4C is a standard procedure in many cases and can give you good results.  The problem I see here is if you get good penetration of the Ab into the tissue, you will need to do substantial washing before fixing and adding secondary Ab.  That may preclude having live material in the end.

Please feel free to correspond off list.
Cheers,

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.
Molecular and Cellular Biology
Univ. of Arizona