CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:10:24 +0000
From:
Caroline Bass <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Hi,

I've worked in a BSL3 lab before, and did use a general inverted
microscope. Are you sure that the specimen can't be contained and that you
need the face shield? The purpose of a BSL3 facility is to maintain
negative air pressure in case of an incident. A face shield protects
against accidental splashes but doesn't do anything for an aerosolized or
airborne agent (they easily get around a mask). So it seems if there is a
way to contain the specimen either in a sealed environment (flask, or
slide chamber) or to set up a shield between the user and the specimen,
that would serve the same purpose.

Also, what about a monitor situation? If you can contain the specimen from
the user then it seems your typical confocal setup, where most of the work
is done on a computer, contained within the BSL3 facility should be
sufficient.

Caroline Bass