CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 04:21:35 -0500
From:
Andreas Bruckbauer <[log in to unmask]>

> I have imaged 100 nm multi-color beads on our confocal (FV1000 with a
> hand-picked 100x/1.4 Plan Super Apo lens), and besides a moderate z-shift=
>
> between blue and other channels (as expected), I have a lateral chromatic=
>
> aberration between the "DAPI" channel (405 nm ex, 430-460 em) and the lon=
> ger
> wavelength channels (green, orange, red fluorescence). So for instance, t=
> he
> colors are colocalized in top left corner of the image, but are several
> pixels off in XY plane in bottom right of the image. The UnwarpJ plugin f=
> or
> ImageJ works well to correct this in individual XY images,

not the same as bUnwarpJ, but similar....

> but 3D correct=
> ion
> may be needed, since the plan correction for the blue channel (405 nm las=
> er
> illumination) is not as good as for the rest of the spectrum.=20=20=20

thats often the case,
as well as the UC laser coming in through a different collimator, so its often
0.5 microns or so off the vis lines.

as i understand on the FV1000 system the 405 and other visible wavelength lasers come through the same fiber and use the same collimator. Check your pinhole alignment and maybe get the laser combiner realigned? Maybe the light coming from the fiber is not centered when it goes through the collimator? What does Olympus suggest?

best wishes

Andreas