CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:29:04 +1300

Before people get too carried away with these hybrid devices,
detectors with APDs are non-linear at higher light levels. For
confocal with (say) a 1 us dwell time this means you must arrange to
have <10 photons per pixel. A second issue is gain loss with age in
APDs although with most of the gain being provided by the cathode-APD
acceleration voltage this may be less of an issue. This count rate
limit may be overcome with array APDs but they introduce a loss of
quantum efficiency and 'after pulsing' .  I guess what I am saying
is  be careful in detector selection, they all have +/- points. But
the improvement in QE for the new photocathodes is impressive (albeit
at much higher dark count rates) .

Cheers Mark