CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:24:44 -0600

>*****
>To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>*****
>
>Before people get too carried away with these
>hybrid devices, detectors with APDs are
>non-linear at higher light levels. For confocal
>with (say) a 1 us dwell time this means you must
>arrange to have <10 photons per pixel. A second
>issue is gain loss with age in APDs although
>with most of the gain being provided by the
>cathode-APD acceleration voltage this may be
>less of an issue. This count rate limit may be
>overcome with array APDs but they introduce a
>loss of quantum efficiency and 'after pulsing' .
>I guess what I am saying
>is  be careful in detector selection, they all
>have +/- points. But the improvement in QE for
>the new photocathodes is impressive (albeit at
>much higher dark count rates) .
>
>Cheers Mark

Hi all,

I echo Mark's cautions. There are long
discussions of these matters in Chapter 12 and
Appendix 3 of the Handbook. With respect to the
URL Mark sent out, ultra bialkali with a maximum
QE of about 43% looks very good BUT:

1) It occurs at a wavelength of 350 nm, well into
the near UV where we really seldom have need for
a detector in confocal-type micrsocopy.

2) Although no details are given, there is no
indication of how these curves were measured.
However, it is common to make such measurements
in terms of the current in nA leaving the
photocathode when a known flux of photons in a
given narrow wavelength band strikes it. The
ratio of the number of electrons/s in the current
to the photons/s in the light is the QE.

This sound good but:

	a) Not all photoelectrons leaving the PC,
actually strike the first dynode. The 20-30% that
do not, fail to multiply and this represents a
direct proportional loss of QE
	b) Not all of the PE that strike the
first dynode actually produce secondary
electrons. Partially this is just due to Poisson
noise: if the average first stage gain is only
say, 3, then for about 10% of arriving PEs, it
will be zero. It is actually more complex than
this and different parts of Dynode are likely to
have different SE coefficients. Again this lost
signal reduces the effective QE.
	c) Such QE curves usually represent the
best that can be obtained. However, as the PC
must be evaporated onto the inside of the glass
after each end-window tube has been evacuated and
pinched off, there is considerable variation in
the thickness and even the detailed atomic makeup
of this film (and hence it's QE: thicker PCs will
have higher QE in the red, lower in the blue).
Even selected tubes may have a QE 20% lower than
the published specs (i.e., maybe 37% rather than
43%) and  unselected tubes can be as much as 50%
less.

And then there is the matter of multiplicative
noise. Even on the best tubes set up in the best
way, (usually obtainable only when  voltage
between the PC and Dynode 1 is 5-10x higher than
that between the other sets of dynodes) this adds
20% to the Poisson noise, and can only be
"compensated for" by using 40% more signal in the
first place (Because Poisson Noise is
proportional to the sqrt of the signal, to
improve the S/N by a factor of 2, you must
increase the signal by a factor of 4). In other
words, the signal out the back of the PMT acts as
though the QE is only about 70% of what it would
have been after taking into account all of the
processes listed above.

Multiplicative noise can be substantially
eliminated by using pulse-counting circuitry, but
as Mark notes, pulse-counting tends to saturate
at the signal rates common in confocal microscopy
(i.e., the levels recorded in the brightest parts
of the image, (where the dye is) will be less
than they should be, perhaps much less.)

The reason for this tedious detail is that the
"QE" performance of avalanche photodiodes is not
usually measured in the same way (The exception
being so called linear-APDs). APDs have so much
multiplicative noise (and lost signal from PE
that don't avalanche) that they are almost always
used in a pulse-counting mode. As a result, the
"QE" performance of pulse-counting units is
usually measured in terms of Photon Detection
Efficiency  (PDE, there are other terms). A PDE
of 30% means that 30% of the photons of a given
wavelength that strike the detector will give
exactly one count in your image memory. Clearly a
PDE of 30% can give you a far more accurate
measure of the signal related to a given pixel
than one would get using a PMT having a raw QE of
30% but which is then subject to all the other
problems noted above.

But as Mark says, because APDs have to count
pulses, they are just not yet suitable for
"normal" confocal, where stain levels and other
variables mean that we are often surprised by
higher signals than can be handled by the
counting circuits.

Finally, the Subject line of this theme talks
about GaAsPMTs (but I could not find the first
post). GaAsPMTs are interesting because their
high-QE performance extents far into the red.
Unfortunately, this performance relies on being
able to create a PE using a low-energy photons
which in turn implies very dark current unless
the PC is either very small or is cooled (or both)

Cheers,

Jim Pawley

Prof. James B. Pawley,
Ph.  608-238-3953
21. N. Prospect Ave. Madison, WI 53726 USA
3D Microscopy of Living Cells Course, June 11-23, 2011, UBC, Vancouver Canada
Info: http://www.3dcourse.ubc.ca/	    Applications due by March 15, 2011
	       "If it ain't diffraction, it must be statistics." Anon.