CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 06:35:44 -0500

Hi Anna,

Only way to know is to do the experiment.

I have a suggestion for transitioning from IHC to fluorescence confocal
microscopy: assuming you are using HRP with DAB + H2O2, you can
substitute DAB with a fluorescent tyramide (available from
Invitrogen/Molecular Probes,
http://probes.invitrogen.com/media/pis/mp20911.pdf ) or PerkinElmer Life
Sciences.  You can ignore the other components in the kit (store those
as directed in the kit). Pick a fluorophore in a wavelength range that
has low autofluorescence for your specimen (one of your current fixed
specimens - ex. a negative control). I strongly encourage the use of
serial sections, with alternating sections detected with DAB vs tyramide.

Sincerely,

George
p.s. Your current DAB precipitate IHC specimens might be suitable for
reflection (backscattered) confocal microscopy. DAB ppt's scatter
strongly in the blue (405 nm, 440 nm, 458 nm laser lines). You may need
to look up (or ask your vendor) your confocal microscope settings to get
a good backscatter signal. You can also visualize DAB on the confocal by
transmitted light (not a confocal mode). If you routinely counterstain
with hematoxylin, you can even acquire an RGB transmitted light image,
i.e. 458 nm for blue, 514 nm for green, 633 nm for red.

--

George McNamara, PhD
Analytical Imaging Core Facility