CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2011

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:48:03 -0600

Hi again,

Not really disagreeing with Guy, but he makes my
point. Yes, when imaging a point object that
emitted both red and blue light using a lens with
CA (such as one where the residual CA was
supposed to be corrected in the ocular), either
the red or the green would be properly focused at
the plane of the spinning disk (but not both!).

However, when the whitish (Hg) light starts from
the disk, and goes through the CA objective, each
color does form a spot at some focal distance,
creating a series of spots at different focus
planes (for different colors) in the specimen.
When light is reflected or scattered from a point
object located, say, where the red light focuses,
this scattered or reflected light will be in
focus when it gets back to the disk (or on the
Petran disk, to the opposite side of the
symmetrical disk). Likewise, a point scatterer
located where the blue light forms a focus will
also be in focus when it reaches the disk plane.
This is how the color of the light that makes it
through the disk (and therefore looks "bright")
codes for specimen topography. In this case you
would not want to use a compensating eyepiece as
you would want to convey the disk image to the
recording plane.

I also agree that, optically speaking, one should
not interpose a scanning disk into the
intermediate image plane of any optical system in
which, CA errors in the objective are designed to
be corrected in the ocular. And that using such
lenses was one of the reasons for the color
effects in early BSL imaging using disk-scaners.
This is the reason that most such systems use
Nikon CF and later CFI objectives in which CA was
corrected in both the objective and the occular.

To make color code unambiguously for height,
Boyde convinced Leningrad Optical to make some
special "linear longitudinal chromatic
dispersion" objectives in which the focal length
varied inversely with the wavelength (i.e, not
achromats or apochromats, just simple uncorrected
lenses) so that each focal depth would match the
confocal condition (i.e., be in focus) for only a
single color. Although this produced stunning 3D
confocal movies, it did still have the lateral CA
problem in that blue features would be magnified
a bit more than red ones, but this was not too
serious if you stuck to the center of the field
of view.

Regarding the early Abbe objectives, it is true
that, accompanied with the correct eyepiece, they
were as good as Guy says. However they also had
significant curvature of field and therefore they
were less successful than modern objectives when
viewing large planar specimens.

Boyde's system is described in some detail in
Chapter 15 of the Second Edition of the Handbook.

Cheers,

Jim Pawley