CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:35:56 -0500
7bit
From:
Martin Wessendorf <[log in to unmask]>

Dear JP--

 From your description, it might be lipofuscin.  In my limited
experience, mouse tissue has a lot of it.  If that's what it is, it will
appear yellow/orange with a wide-band UV filter, green through a
fluorescein filter, red through a rhodamine filter and will also be
visible through a Cy5 filter.  It will be very resistant to
photobleaching.  It will remain fluorescent after treatment with NaBH4
or oxidizing agents or after lipid extraction.

You can deal with lipofuscin one of at least 3 ways:

1)  Don't use fluorescence--use immunoperoxidase methods.

2)  Treat with Cu++.  Cu++ ion will quench much of the autofluorescence
of lipofuscin, but it will also somewhat reduce the fluorescence of the
Cy3.

3)  Treat with Sudan Black.  Sudan Black binds lipophilic compartments
and, being black, quenches lipofuscin.  It's not compatible with
xylene-based mounting media, though.

Steve Schnell, Bill Staines and I have a paper on this:
Schnell SA, Staines WA, Wessendorf MW.  Reduction of lipofuscin-like
autofluorescence in fluorescently labeled tissue.  J Histochem Cytochem.
1999 47(6):719-30.

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991