CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

Date:
Sun, 1 May 2011 03:57:06 +1200
From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:

Hi Kate

Do you really need/want two Tl:S lasers for this?  It may be better to
use a visible and a Ti:S as I can foresee problems with continued
photolysis of the cage with the probe beam if it's 2P... In our work
measuring diffusion via 2P  we used an Ar-ion with a 2P photolysis
spot that could be either stationary or moved with the probe using the
same scanning system. For analysis the stationary spot (produced by
our own custom optics coupling the Ti:S bean to the rear aperture
independent of the scanner) was the best way to go. The trouble is not
all microscope bodies can give you the room to a fit in a short pass
dichroic to do this. In our  old Axiovert, we had to machine up a new
coupling component to take a small dichroic on a slider. A  diagram of
the layout is here:

Soeller, C. & Cannell, M.B. (1999) Two-photon microscopy: Imaging in
scattering samples and three-dimensionally resolved flash photolysis.
Microsc. Res. Tech. 47:182-195.

Cheers Mark