CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

Sender:
From:
Stanislav Vitha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 01:16:17 -0500

Hallo,
I would appreciate a pointer to a paper or a book chapter that provides the
theoretical background/explanation for the fact that a DIC prism will degrade
resolution of the fluorescence image. My search in archives of this list brought
up quite a few discussions on this topic, but I was looking for a more
theoretical treatment of the issue.

I have a little puzzle with our Fluoview FV1000 system  (for those not familiar
with Olympus setup: these is a single DIC prism behind the objective; the
condenser turret then has several different DIC prisms, specific to each
objective - but that is not relevant for epifluorescnece).
A expected, having the DIC prism behind the objective degrades the confocal
image with all objectives, but surprisingly the degradation is much worse with
our 20x/0.85 oil than is with the 60x/1.2 WI or 100x/1.4 oil objectives. I
expected the opposite, the amount of shear introduced by the prism (a
fraction of a micrometer) should have been more noticeable with higher
resolution objectives.  It makes it very easy to demonstrate the effect of DIC
prism on confocal image quality to new users during training, but I would sure
like to know what is happening.

The second puzzle is that inserting the DIC prism in the optical path causes a
shift in focus (at least several micrometers, very noticeable). In my naive
thinking, I assumed that inserting a flat piece of glas at normal orientation into
the infininty space would not cause any focus shift, at least for imaging
sample area close to the center of the optical axis.
Any ideas?

I am in discussion with Olympus and thay are very receptive, but I thought I
would ask here as well.

 Thanks in advance!

Stan Vitha
Microscopy and Imaging Center