CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

From:
Sudipta Maiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:08:20 +0630

Other than UV dyes, native chromophores , such as NaDh, serotoni etc., are
only accessible through multiphoton for live cell UV imaging. I can send a
large list of our work in this area (off the list)if anyone cares to know
about it.
Sudipta

which are On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:10:16 -0600, Craig Brideau wrote

> I second the previous lister's opinions.  At the end of the day MP
> is really only good for thick tissue sections.  If you are looking
> at cell layers just use a conventional 1P confocal.  The key
> advantage of 2P is penetration depth, which is moot when you are
> looking at cells.  That said, John's comments about shorter UV
> imaging are still valid; it's easier to get a NIR Ti:Saph beam
> through conventional optics than a very UV beam.  This only applies
> if you are using dyes that need very UV excitation of course.
>
> Craig
>
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 6:29 AM, George McNamara
> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
> > *****
> > To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> > http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> > *****
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > The tuning range of Ti:Sapphire (ex. 690-1040 nm) used to be problematic
> > for exciting far red and infrared fluorophores. There were some
exceptions,
> > such as Alexa Fluor 488m 568, 594, and 633 all exciting well around 755 nm
> > (Fig 5D of Dickinson et al 2003 J Biomed Optics 8: 329-338), but since you
> > are ok with cost and complexity, adding an OPO(s) and/or multiple MP
lasers,
> > gives you full range (see
> > http://www.coherent.com/products/?1570/Chameleon-OPO-Tuning-Range for
> > OPO).
> >
> > Depending on cell type and physiological needs, you may be able to
suppress
> > phototoxicity by lowering O2 - cell culture at ~18% O2 is something of an
> > artifact for many cell types - by using catalase/glucose oxidase/glucose
or
> > Oxyrase (for the latter, www.oxyrase.com, see Waterman-Storer 1993 and
> > Mikhailov 1995 Cell Motil Cytokseleton).
> >
> > Enjoy,
> >
> > George
> >

> > On 4/23/2011 6:03 PM, David Knecht charter wrote:
> >
> >> *****
> >> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
> >> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
> >> *****
> >>
> >> Is there any disadvantage to multiphoton for cultured cells (besides cost
> >> and complexity)? Cell viability?  Phototoxicity?  Dave

> >> Dr. David Knecht
> >> Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
> >> Co-head Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility
> >> U-3125
> >> 91 N. Eagleville Rd.
> >> University of Connecticut
> >> Storrs, CT 06269