CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2011

From:
"Phillips, Thomas E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 11:46:11 -0500

Mike - Thanks for the alternative suggestion - I looked at your website and this stain was clearly effective used in some nuclear segmentation studies. But it is fair to say that it has higher cytoplasmic staining that ToPro3?  The images suggested that.  I realize its advantage is it works on both live and fixed cells.

One real concern I have on ToPro3 is that it is sold as a DMSO stock. This requires a tad higher degree of care when you are talking about a DNA intercalating agent in this solvent. I believe the DRAQ5 stock is aqueous - still undoubtedly toxic but presumably latex gloves would be protective. Comment?

Thanks for your insight. I am a big fan of both the Molecular Probes family of labels and their incredible website with so much info. Tom

Thomas E. Phillips, Ph.D
Professor of Biological Sciences
Director, Molecular Cytology Core
2 Tucker Hall