CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

From:
Gitta Hamel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:06:02 +0200

Commercial response from Huygens-SVI

Dear All,

Your 1st question:
The circular pattern is probably caused by bad synchronisation for which
you already did a number of smart tests. Normally such a pattern is
difficult to see in bead images so it looks like a real problem. I'll
email you off-line so that you can upload the data-set so that we can
help find the reason.

Your 2nd question:

I agree with Brian.  In the Huygens software, the MLE can be used both
with the measured and the (on the fly) theoretical PSF so the MLE
algorithm is actually not a deciding factor.
The deciding factors are indeed mainly the thickness and also the
possibly different Refractive Indices for lens and medium.

The rule of thumb is that up to 10 micron thickness  the measured PSF
can still be used. With thicker samples usage of the (on the fly)
theoretical PSF is usually better.  Still with identical RI's with
embedding media like Entallan or Aquatex you may go further than 10 micron.

So generally speaking a measured PSF is better than a theoretical PSF.
And as both spinning discs and confocal can suffer from bad alignments
that's an even stronger argument in favour of the measured one. In
Huygens you could apply for the first 10 micron the measured PSF and for
the remainder of your image the theoretical.

With best wishes,

Gitta Hamel

Gitta Hamel
Managing Director Scientific Volume Imaging bv
Developers of the *HUYGENS* software
The Netherlands
phone: ++ 31 35 6 42 16 26

^SVI Customer support: mail us your questions [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>or find answers online in our Huygens
WIKI:www.svi.nl/FrontPage <http://%20www.svi.nl/FrontPage>