CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:10:35 -0700

Just a brief comment on point 1 - if your microscope is producing ghosting
artifacts (being able to 'see the grid') then the PSF you measure from the beads
is the 'correct' PSF - deconvolving with a PSF measurement which includes ghosts
*should* remove the ghosts from the real image as well, provided they relative
position of the ghosts remains constant over the field of view (probably also
subject to numeric/ noise constraints). That said, having the ghosts in the
first place is not going to make your images any better and if there' a hardware
solution I'm sure it would be worth correcting.

If you want to get a handle on the whether measured or theoretical/blind PSFs
are best in your case, you can try embedding beads in a block of agar and/or
putting beads on either side of your biological specimen.

cheers,
David