CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2011 18:05:04 +1000

Hang on, the requirement was for a sample which would measure the
RELATIVE intensities of 505 and 488nm lasers.  Mild bleaching shouldn't
affect that.  If a bit is seriously bleached, use another spot.  A quick
scan at very low power will reveal that.  You're doing pretty well if
you can bleach an entire slide in a lifetime - and it you do, the
replacement is free.  I've never succeeded in bleaching any part but I
have managed to laser-ablate spots on the surface!  As for RI mismatch -
well of course there is.  I'll bet there is with uranyl glass too (but
in the opposite direction).  But the killer with the U glass is that you
can't actually see it very well in a scanned image.  If you really want
a solid-state unbleachable sample get a slice of emerald.  I've never
actually tried it at 405nm but it's so bright at 488 I'm sure it would
work.  Unless you have a very generous lab budget I would recommend the
synthetic version over the natural one!

                                 Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis,
Madsen Building F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006

Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
             Mobile 0413 281 861
      http://www.guycox.net