CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:32:13 -0400

Hi Simon,

In addition to our old LSM510, I manage two Leica SP5 confocal
microscopes (one with multiphoton, FLIM and FCS) that are open access
(UM, South Florida, worldwide) and a Zeiss LSM710 (closed access, for
two institutes). All three of these have spare capacity, even once I
move all LSM510 users to the Leica's.  I know of another 15 confocal
microscopes at UM. We have plenty of confocal microscope capacity. In
our OMX (3D-SIM) demo we have already seen amazing new details not
resolvable by confocal (NIH shared instrumentation grant submitted for
OMX in March 2011 - 3D-SIM, TIRF and Applied Precision's Monet precision
localization). We are also considering submitting for another NIH
instrumentation program a complementary nanoscope that uses a different
technology and has confocal capability by just leaving off the depletion
laser - very different technology that will not have the same potential
artifacts as 3D-SIM (and vice versa) and that give us additional nano
imaging capabilities.

Sincerely,

George

On 6/17/2011 9:13 AM, simon walker (BI) wrote:

> "My core is moving to nanoscope(s)"
> Surely these technologies are complementary, not mutually exclusive.  We're getting super res in the not-too-distant future, but these systems certainly won't be replacing our confocals.  I guess it all depends on the application, but I can't see many core facilities losing their confocal imaging capabilities in preference to super res.
> Simon
>

> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: selling our Zeiss LSM510

> Dear Confocal listserv,
>
> I now have approval to sell our Zeiss LSM510 confocal microscope.
> Briefly, 4 PMT system (not META), Axiovert 200M motorized stand, Argon
> ion visible laser, HeNe543, HeNe633, several objective lenses. UV laser
> ready. You can optionally purchase from us the Coherent Enterprise I UV
> laser, power supply, LP5 chiller - UV laser is not currently operation
> so needs refurbishing ($8500 from Evergreen Laser, similar price from
> Laser Innovations, no including shipping). System was under service
> contract until Feb 1 of this year. Three PMT's were replaced last year,
> so in pretty good shape.
>
> Zeiss currently has a promotion to trade in an LSM510 or Bio-Rad
> confocal for $75K credit toward a LMS710 or 780. My core is moving to
> nanoscope(s), so I am not going to use the promotion (and Zeiss is not
> offering it for their PAL-m or SIM or even TIRF systems). Even if you
> don't get in on the promotion, you could negotiate for that amount with
> your Zeiss rep.
>
> I have a potential buyer so don't wait around long. We can arrange with
> Zeiss field service to find shipping crates and they can pack and
> unpack. You can visit Miami to try it out (sorry - rainy season just
> started).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George

George McNamara, PhD