CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:50:05 -0700
If you're using all solid sta

We did this calculation a while back ...

If you're using all solid state lasers, I'm guessing that lasers will be a much
smaller contribution, so it's likely to be computers (200-700W each) > people
(~100W each) > arc lamp (~150W) > lasers (10-100W each if solid state) > all
other controllers (5-30 W each). Not sure about your incubator - gut feeling
tells me it's likely to be around 100 - 200W. As far as heat output goes - it
should be be the same as electrical power consumed (although not necessarily the
plate numbers - because, as mentioned, they are the maximum possible current
draw).

Don't underestimate people when calculating thermal load -  you can count on ~
100W heating per person. The other item which is easy to forget is lighting -
which easily contributes a couple of hundred watts. When specing the aircon you
might want to consider the possibility of wanting to use, e.g. a small gas
laser, in the future - these easily draw 1-2 KW and are still the best option
for some lines.

Also don't be afraid to overspec the number of outlets - I'd suggest ~ 2x what
you think you're going to need - we've ended up with using around ~20 for our
TIRF rig.

It's still hard to arrive at a firm figure for total consumption - but ~ 2 KW
plus the power of any gas lasers you might want to use is probably in the right
ballpark.

Cheers,
David