CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2011

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 16:55:37 +0200

Hi there,

I have used 1:5 ultrasound gel too in the past. The Ri is not identical
to water but close enough for many applications. Just make sure you use
water for dilution. With NaCl solution, somehow the gel structure breaks
down and you get an aqueous liquid with a precipitate, at least with our
ultrasound gel.

I don't know though what the 1:5 dilution in water does to exposed
tissues in terms of physiology, as opposed to superfusion with buffer.
Did anybody investigate?

Steffen

On 22.07.2011 09:08, Cameron Nowell wrote:

> Hi Farid,
>
> For small volumes we use the Zeiss Immersol W. But for large scale stuff
> like using the large 20x water objective on our multiphoton system we
> use a 1:5 dilution of ultrasound gel (make sure you use the clear one,
> not the blue tinted stuff).

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Mail room:
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 München

Building location: