CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

Sender:
From:
Johan Henriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:22:52 +0100

> > Disadvantage to ImageJ/Fiji:
> >
> > -customer support is on a voluntary basis so find a friend to help bail
> > you out if you get stuck.
>
> If you give [log in to unmask] a chance to help you, I am sure you will
> be delighted at the helpful feedback you will get there.

I think this is a misperception we need to work on.

* If you buy software from company X, the only company that can really work
on your issues (including fixing bugs) is the company X

* If you use open source software, you can get help from the community. And
you can get help from company 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10. None of these made
the software, but since the software is open source, any company has the
opportunity to fix any bug or implement any feature you want. This is a
level of support you simply cannot expect from any large company, unless
the feature you need will become their next big selling point.

So instead of getting stuck with company X, and be forced to pay for a
software that in worst case cannot do what you need, maybe rather go with
the free and flexible alternative, and only if you have to, pay later?

/Johan
(with the bias of being one of the many available consultants selling
commercial support for open source software)

Johan Henriksson, PhD
Karolinska Institutet
Ecobima AB - Custom solutions for life sciences
http://www.ecobima.com  http://mahogny.areta.org  http://www.endrov.net

<http://www.endrov.net>