CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2013 22:50:53 -0500
8bit
From:
Dan Focht <[log in to unmask]>

List

Does anybody have time to throw some Genteal in a fluorometer and see
how it behaves throughout the spectrum?
Just curious.

Dan

On 3/3/2013 8:24 PM, Adrian Smith wrote:

> [...]
>

> On 20/02/2013, at 2:00 PM, Watkins, Simon C wrote:
>
>> *****
>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>> *****
>>
>> For us genteal gel
>> http://www.amazon.com/GenTeal-Lubricant-Moderate-Severe-Relief/dp/B001GBIS7
>> Y/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_z works very well..we have used it overnight in some
>> conditions.. Though this was within an humidified chamber
>>
>> Simon Watkins Ph.D
>>
>> Professor and Vice Chair Cell Biology
>> Professor Immunology
>> Director Center for Biologic Imaging
>> University of Pittsburgh
>> Bsts 225 3550 terrace st
>> Pittsburgh PA 15261
>> Www.cbi.pitt.edu <http://Www.cbi.pitt.edu/>
>> 412-352-2277
>>

>> On 2/19/13 6:04 PM, "Benjamin Hibbs" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> *****
>>> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>>> *****
>>>
>>> Hi Adam,
>>>
>>> I'm sure some of the other members of the list have more experience than
>>> I. However, perhaps you could try making a continual water source like
>>> the leica system. I know Steve Cody has developed some nifty techniques
>>> to maintain the immersion water automatically, but even a manual top-up
>>> every few hours could help you in conjunction with your reservoir
>>> approach.
>>>
>>> Best of luck,
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>>> Ben Hibbs
>>> Platform Support Officer‹Advanced Fluorescence Imaging
>>> The Melbourne Materials Institute (MMI)
>>> University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
>>> Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>>> Phone: +61 (0)3 9035-7749
>>>

>>> On 20/02/2013, at 7:01 AM, Adam White
>>> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> *****
>>> To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>>> *****
>>>
>>> I did a search of the archive but I think I have exhausted most of the
>>> previous
>>> suggestions... We are attempting to do some overnight live imaging
>>> experiments using 2PE microscopy.  We are using the Nikon Apo LWD 25x/1.1
>>> water immersion objective on an inverted stand and our main problem is
>>> keeping the immersion medium in place for longer than a couple of hours.
>>> We
>>> have tried using the Cargille oil with a 1.335 RI but it does not have
>>> enough
>>> viscosity/surface tension to be useful.  We have tried using ultrasound
>>> gel but
>>> this dries out over time and only gives us about 5 hours of images.  I
>>> have also
>>> tried all manner of different sealants/gloves/o-rings to varying degrees
>>> success/reproducibility.  The best I have found is to use a stretched-out
>>> glove
>>> finger (plus a sealant) and just fill up the resulting "reservoir" with

--
Dan Focht Bioptechs Inc. V: (724)282-7145 www.bioptechs.com