CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:43:12 +0100
8bit
From:
Johannes Koch <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Michal,

manufacturers state the standard use which is simply what the antibody
is tested for (and they guarantee that it works). Especially, it is
important to know whether the antibody reacts against the native or the
denatured form of the protein. The latter would be for WB analysis, the
previous for IF. That however, does not exclude that the very same
antibody might also work in the other application. I have had a few
antibodies working in both, some however did not.

As for all images, just do the proper controls, the ones you should also
employ when using an specifically developped antibody, e.g. incubate
with the secondary alone, titrate the antibody, check against your
biological negative control (if you have none, try to come up with one
that makes sense); if you are looking for special subcellular
compartments try to confirm with a second staining (e.g. the ER has
different domains labeled differentially with various antibodies all
sold as if they would recognize "the" ER...) and so on.

So as for your original question: No, I would not do this with other
IgGs - depending on your setup and question I would rather employ other
controls.

Johannes

*Dr. Johannes Koch*

*Tissue Med Biosciences GmbH*

Magnesitstrasse1 | A‑3500 Krems

T: +43/2732/87470-300 | M: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

*www.tmbiosciences.com <http://www.tmbiosciences.com/>*

Diese E‑Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Information. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E‑Mail
irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte unverzüglich den
Absender und vernichten Sie diese E‑Mail sofort. Das unerlaubte Kopieren
sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E‑Mail sind nicht gestattet.

This e‑mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the intended recipient or have received this e‑mail in error
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e‑mail. Any
e‑mail is strictly forbidden.