CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:19:20 -0400
8bit
From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>

At ABRF 2013, the Lumen Dynamics manager (Mic C.) told me that the
liquid light guides have about a 3 year shelf life (all the LLG's are
from one manufacturer: Lumatec). That is, they will "go bad" even in a
drawer. So, congratulations on getting five years (though you may have a
bubble without knowing it). His tips included:

* when storing, humid environment is much better than dry (it is liquid
inside).
* kinks are bad.
* if the output (aimed at a white, uniform surface) is not a clean,
completely uniform disk, you have a bubble (or the LLG into the lamp is
not in correctly).

I have recommendations for labs and suppliers:

* a right angle turn adapter for the LLG to MICROSCOPE ... a lot of
microscopes have a back wall very close - current "bend the LLG" is a
good way to damage it.
* "label" the LLG with tape (or paint?) to make it obvious that this is
not a power cord.
* if the microscope configuration allows, use a ONE METER LLG instead of
the more common 2 meter.
* Lumatec manufactures several modesl, with different transmission
spectra. Last time I checked (a couple of years ago), the LLG-380 (1
meter) was the most sensible choice.

***

As for the Colibri vs HXP ... The Zeiss Colibri was expensive when it
was introduced in 2007. Zeiss is likely to lower prices only if their
competitors are successful selling at lower prices.  If you want a
Colibri, find out if they offer new (brighter, more available colors)
LED's7: the LED field has progressed a lot since 2007.

HXP: we are in 2013: don't waste your money on metal halide, Hg, or Xe
lamps when "solid state" lighting is now available.

In Houston, I will have a Lumencor SOLA on "my" Leica AM6000 microscope
(DMI 6000 stand with 2 Eppendork micromanipulators). If I have an
opportunity to upgrade soon, it would probably be to the Lumencor
Spectra X (6 or 7 independent wavelengths, though pricey ... I have
access to an almost identical product, InsightSSI, on the GE/API OMX
upstairs for deconvolution and interference reflection contrast
microscopy) or Lumen's 4 wavelength X-LED product (and possibly by an
alternative LED or two for special needs ... of course if someone wants
to donate some money to the lab, I'll be happy to put two X-LED's (8
wavelengths) on the AM6000 scope.

Sincerely,

George