CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 07:41:12 -0400
From:
"Watkins, Simon C" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

I think we will all be using SSD arrays in the near future.  The CMOS
cameras from all companies generate about 1.8 gigabytes of data/second
when maxed, you have no choice but to use SSD arrays, we put raid 0 Sata 3
arrays of CMOS drives in all our high speed systems.  Normally half a
terabyte suffices, we use 120 gig OCZ drives ($110 ea from amazon) a
Startech 4 drive backplane ($92) and a HighPoint RocketRAID 640 4 SATA
Port PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller ($102).  Basically the
whole thing costs about $650, fills a spare Cdrom slot and solves all the
problemsŠfor us (it does solve our CMOS buffering problem).

Simon Watkins Ph.D

Professor and Vice Chair Cell Biology
Professor Immunology
Director Center for Biologic Imaging