CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2013

From:
Justin Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:58:33 -0400

Hi Keith,

You should take a look at ImageJ or Fiji.  It sounds like you have a grasp on the basics of image processing, and you have an idea of what you are looking for so I would give it a shot.  Here are a few advantages to the ImageJ/Fiji approach.

-freely available

-bioreader has many proprietary formats available to read raw data as well as metadata

-easy to get started writing macros with the "record macro" function

-access to hundreds of niche programs and macros that could cost thousands of dollars is purchased via commercial route

Disadvantage to ImageJ/Fiji:

-some programs may not work as expected or at all depending on how you files are labeled or formatted

-customer support is on a voluntary basis so find a friend to help bail you out if you get stuck.

FIJI has more 3d applications for making the measurements you are looking to do included with the initial download than does ImageJ so I would check this out first.

Enjoy!
Justin