CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2013

From:
Alfred Bahnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:30:35 -0400

Jen et al,

If methylcellulose hasn't been ruled out, I want to try to clarify a bit.
 There are many different molecular weight formulations of methyl
cellulose, so when describing methods and concentrations it is necessary to
specify the particular type or source of methyl cellulose.  This is what I
did not do when our company patented use of methyl cellulose for
suppressing "non-biological" motion while assaying T-cell motility and
chemotaxis (patent number 06821747); don't try to read this, it's
embarrassing.  But the properties of methyl cellulose may provide just what
you are looking for.  Unlike a gel that returns to liquid when disrupted,
methyl cellulose maintains its viscosity when pipetted. Viscosity can be
adjusted by dilution.  And motion is impeded particularly alongside of
stationary objects, e.g. along the wall or surface of a vessel.

I recommend starting with Sigma's product literature:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/etc/medialib/docs/Sigma-Aldrich/Product_Information_Sheet/m0262pis.Par.0001.File.tmp/m0262pis.pdf,
for
lack of a better reference at this time.

Good luck.

Al Bahnson
Kairos Instruments, LLC
Pittsburgh PA.