CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2013

From:
"Vazquez Lopez, Julio" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2013 13:56:26 -0700

Scott,

Exciting near the peak is good, but detection efficiency and properties of the dye are also important. Under Alexa dyes in Wikipedia (or the Molecular Probes web site), the quantum yield of Alexa 555 is listed as 0.1, while Alexa 568 is listed as 0.69, so even considering the lower excitation efficiency (about 50%) and the somewhat lower extinction coefficient, Alexa 568 should still be about 2-2.5 times brighter than A555. Or put another way, you could get the same signal with about half the laser intensity (and therefore less photobleaching).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Fluor

JulioVazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Seattle, WA