CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2013

Sender:
From:
Chris Tully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2013 15:02:55 -0400

Dear list,

No strictly a confocal question, but maybe somebody can help...

I have an old (maybe ancient) Zeiss microscope. The only identification
on it is Carl Zeiss, West Germany. It is a binocular microscope with a 4
position nose piece, a bright field/dark field condenser and a built in
light labeled "Einbau - Trafo" which translates at mini transformer
according to Google.  The ocular tube is 22 mm diameter, and the
objective thread is 20 mm diameter as closely as I can measure it.

The scope generally works fine, but it has two significant flaws:
1. Something in both oculars has started to delaminate and I see
distinct artifacts of this in low light conditions.
2. The X axis of the stage has broken loose (the ball bearings have
popped out).

For most of what I do with this scope (showing my daughter things at
home) it is fine, but it would be nice to have a working stage and clean
oculars. So if you have any old oculars sitting in a drawer that you
could send my way please let me know. If you have a functioning stage,
I'd love to get one; but it's not that difficult to use the scope
without the stage clip.

Another question: on the body of the microscope, right hand side just
below the binoc is a small stainless steel nob. If I take the binoc off,
it reveals a small piece that flips one of two filters into the light
path (one is always present). I can see no difference in the image
whether I am in bright field or darkfield mode, so I am ssuming that
both are currently clear glass. Does anybody know what this piece is
intended to do?
--
*Chris Tully*
Principal Consultant