CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2013

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:20:43 +0200
8bit
From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>

It is normal but irritating.

The lasers cannot be completely switched off - the LSM700 is a budget
confocal.
However although you can see the laser light its level is very low -
but with a bright specimen and pushing the detection limits it can be
produce a detectabe image - scanning with the lasers nominally off.

There is therefore a risk of bleaching part of the specimen in a
timeseries. A solution is to use the multiposition acquisition and
sacrifice one position.
However we have not noticed a photobleaching problem - but it is easy to test.

Quoting "Z.J. Zhang" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I am having a weird problem with my Zeiss LSM 700 confocal
> microscope and hope you could shed light on it -
>
> When I tried to scan with the lasers off (turning the lasers off via
> the ZEN software), I can literally see a relatively bright light
> coming from the objective! The light looks white, which I assume is
> the combination of the blue, green and red lasers. Although the
> detected fluorescence signal is 'minimal', it still worries that 1).
> It might photobleach my sample; and 2). When I scan with one laser,
> the other lasers might be on as well, so I wouldn't know what
> exactly I am scanning with!
>
> I was told by Zeiss that this is "normal" because there are no
> mechanical shutters in the scan head. I have a hard time to believe
> it and here are my questions:
>
> 1). Does anyone experience the same/similar problem?
> 2). What could be the possible cause?
> 3). How am I supposed to fix it?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Zhaojie