CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2013

From:
phil laissue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:06:23 +0100

I had a go at tidying up the abstract (although Google Translate did a
rather impressive job), for referencing purposes:
(Note also that in the title, it should be 'Optische' without the n).

Lukosz W, Marchand M.
Optische Abbildung unter Überschreitung der beugungsbedingten Auflösungsgrenze.
Opt. Acta, Volume 10, Issue 3, 241-255 (1963). German.

Optical imaging surpassing the diffraction limit.

As is well-known, the resolution that can be achieved with an optical
system (more precisely, the bandwidth of the local frequency band
transmitted by the system) is limited in principle by diffraction. In
this study, a new method for optical imaging, with a resolving power
surpassing the diffraction limit, is described: While the optical
system itself is not modified, a mask with locally variable
transmission (e.g. a grid) is inserted into, or projected onto (or
near) the object plane. This mask must be shiftable across the object
plane. A second such mask is placed in the (intermediate) image plane.
This mask must be shiftable across the image plane. The two masks
enable optically conjugated scanning across the object- and image
field, respectively. During this scanning process, the created image
is integrated over time by a detector of suitable sensitivity (e.g.
eye, film). The result is an image of the object with increased
resolution (i.e. the bandwidth of the locally transmitted frequency
band is increased). The method can be used for coherent, partially
coherent and incoherent illumination of an object. Its mode of action
and imaging properties are described.
Philippe Laissue, PhD, Bioimaging Manager
School of Biological Sciences, Room 4.17
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
(0044) 01206 872246 / (0044) 07842 676 456
privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~plaissue