CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2013

From:
Golden account <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:35:49 -0400

Andrew,
I do not think that there can ever be a "gold standard". As there are
components needed within the reconstruction that are essentially ill-posed,
a multitude of algorithmic solutions approaching the same problem, can be
utilized. While other methods that were not originally considered by Mats
Gustafsson, such as reconstruction in space domain (e.g. Stallinga et. al)
give algorithmic advantages within some components, the original reciprocal
space methods can't, it is hard to create a general processing pipeline that
take advantage of all variants. However, you might read from time to time
about advances on critical aspects, such as "Structured illumination
microscopy: artefact analysis and reduction utilizing a parameter
optimization approach", (L.H. Schaefer et. al, 2004) or more recently:
"Phase Optimization for structured illumination microscopy" (Kay Wicker et.
al, 2013).

For these reasons, you will find that almost everyone who wants to process
SIM data in a research context will do it on their own. There are just too
many optimization variables, forbidding a general "gold standard" solution.
For Mats classical academic implementations (Matlab, etc.) that you mention,
I am sure you can ask several authors for the code, as long as they are not
exclusively affiliated with commercial companies.

Regards
Lutz

__________________________________
L u t z S c h a e f e r
Sen. Scientist
Mathematical modeling / Computational microscopy
Advanced Imaging Methodology Consultation
16-715 Doon Village Rd.
Kitchener, ON, N2P 2A2, Canada
Phone/Fax: +1 519 894 8870
Mobile: +1 519 722 8870