CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2013

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:53:19 -0400

I very much concur with Jay's statements. I have also noticed that overly confluent cells usually lead to very poor TIRF images, probably for the same reason that he mentioned. In addition to the uncertainty in the penetration depth caused by the sample index of refraction, there are additional scattering within the objective lens that can cause the penetration depth to deviate from single exponential behavior. This has been documented here:

Mattheyses, A.L. and D. Axelrod, Direct measurement of the evanescent field profile produced by objective-based total internal reflection fluorescence. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2006. 11(1).

and confirmed here:

Oreopoulos, J. and C.M. Yip, Combined scanning probe and total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy. Methods, 2008. 46(1): p. 2-10.

I don't think any of the commercial systems account for this effect as it would vary for each objective lens. Bottom line is, you should calibrate your penetration depth yourself on any commercial system if you really care about its exact value. Most people are usually satisfied with eliminating the out-of-focus light near the cell surface, however, in which case the penetration depth value doesn't matter so much. All of the commercial systems I'm aware of are capable of meeting that requirement.

Sincerely,

John Oreopoulos
Staff Scientist
Spectral Applied Research