CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2013

From:
Chris Tully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2013 21:37:57 -0400

Jorge,

I would suggest that you check out the equipment that is generating the
vibrations.

Years ago I was working on a vacuum detector that was making a huge
racket.  I touched one of the tubes inside it's cabinet and the racket
went away.  It came back when I removed my finger.  So, I grabbed a
large zip tie and tightened it around the tube. I did not attach the
tube to anything I just wrapped the zip tie around it and the additional
weight of the zip was enough to change the resonance of that tube and
permanently stopped the sound ( and vibrations) generated by that tube.

That is why I am suggesting that you check out the equipment at the
other end of those cables. Another thing to try would be to attach an
anchor bar to the legs or frame of your isolation table (not to the
table top!) and anchor the wires to this bar (zip ties, cable clips
etc..  Assuming that the bar is sufficiently stiff and massive it will
absorb the vibrations and transmit them to the table's legs prevent the
vibrations from traveling further along the wires to the microscope.

Call me or email me if you would like to discuss this further!

Cheers,
Chris

--
*Chris Tully*