CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2013

From:
Zdenek Svindrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 09:59:12 +0200

Dear Shigeo,

it definitely is not so simple. Beyond certain intensity threshold the
fluorescence intensity is not proportional to illumination intensity due to
e.g. fluorescence saturation or dark (triplet) state formation. In this case
also the absorption is lower and the relative rate of photobleaching may
also decrease. This however depends on such effects as dark state absorption
etc.

It is surprisingly common to achieve these conditions in confocal imaging as
the local illumination intensity in the focal spot is very high.

You may find more info e.g. here:
ROLF T. BORLINGHAUS, MICROSCOPY RESEARCH AND TECHNIQUE 69:689–692 (2006)
Gerald Donnert, NATURE METHODS 4 (2007) 81

Regards,

zdenek svindrych