CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2013 08:20:04 -0500
From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Gabor,

I think the reality is that a fluorescence microscope (especially operating in the confocal mode) is actually a very inefficient light filtering device. There is a passage from a book chapter written by Kennith Spring in the book Digital Microscopy (3rd Edition) that states:

"The geometric constraints also imposed by the numerical aperture of the objective lens as well as the inevitable losses in the optical train of the microscope lead to a loss of 80% or more of the original fluorescence signal. Depending on the properties of the detector, the resultant electronic signal may represent as little as 3% or as much as 16% of the total fluorescence emission.”

As you say, the exact value depends on the detector, the optics of the system, etc.

Cheers,

John Oreopoulos
Staff Scientist
Spectral Applied Research