CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2013 12:48:31 -0500
From:
Dennis Doherty <[log in to unmask]>

Hello to all,

I work for Prior Scientific but this is not meant as  a commercial
response. It is an offer to loan equipment if someone wanted to collect
data with it and share it with this list community.

If someone (should be a non-commercial entity) wanted to spend some time
employing a method of testing as the full illumination system supplied
from the manufacturer along with the recommended filter sets etc. and
not just the particular light source standing on its own, I would be
willing to help by offering to loan our spectral power meter and
software to them. We purpose developed this tool to characterize the
light exiting the objective lens for these very reasons. (The data sheet
for our LumaSpec 800 is online at our website if you want to look at
it.)

This thread has several great comments, information, and suggestions. I
certainly agree that measuring off the scope has meaning, but ultimately
the characterization of brightness (and other factors such as stability)
to eventually choose one illuminator over the other for the person's
application ought to be determined on the microscope tested as a system.
You could have the most powerful, most versatile illuminator on the
planet on the bench right behind your microscope but it might not
perform as you expect. In other words a car with 600 horsepower and
square wheels doesn't get you very far.

Something as simple as the optical coupler / adapter to the microscope
can attribute to light loss and have a huge effect on the final output
exiting your chosen objective lens. There are a host of other things
that can also play a role that have been mentioned by others such as
simple alignment issues, incorrect/misaligned/ unmatched filter sets
etc. so what begins outside the scope eventually changes quite a bit on
its way to your sample for a variety of reasons.

So if you want to give this a whirl please let me know and drop me an
email. I will also be at Neuroscience next week (and Cell Bio next month
as well) in our booth if you would like to speak to me directly about
this.

Thanks and Regards,

Dennis

Dennis Doherty