CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 07:44:42 -0600
7bit
From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Tim,

I disagree with your statement "lacking in sensitivity". The quantum
efficiency of your ORCA-2.8 is better than the ORCA4.0 at less than 500
nm, and better than "Gen 1" sCMOS at less than ~570 nm. See Spectral
Response graph at
http://www.hamamatsu.com/jp/en/community/life_science_camera/product/search/C11440-22CU/index.html
and SNR curve next to it.

The Huang et al method for full calibration of every pixel should apply
to all sCMOS cameras and deal with the pixel specific gains (which is
not really noise).

Video-rate nanoscopy using sCMOS camera-specific single-molecule
localization algorithms. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23708387>

Huang F, Hartwich TM, Rivera-Molina FE, Lin Y, Duim WC, Long JJ, Uchil
PD, Myers JR, Baird MA, Mothes W, Davidson MW, Toomre D, *Bewersdorf J*.

Nat Methods . 2013 Jul;10(7):653-8. doi: 10.1038/nmeth.2488.  PMID: 23708387

You can achieve the optical equivalent of binning by not using the
highest magnification objective lens.

There are specific applications where back illuminated EMCCD vs sCMOS,
one will win. For example, UAIM is EMCCD specific:

Ultrahigh accuracy imaging modality for super-localization microscopy.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23455923>

Chao J, Ram S, Ward ES, Ober RJ.

Nat Methods. 2013 Apr;10(4):335-8. doi: 10.1038/nmeth.2396.  PMID: 23455923

I recommend you put the FLASH2.8 on the microscope that makes the most
sense and if your customer base needs another camera system, select
whatever camera type, and /manufacturer/model fits that need.

mEos4 - still unpublished, except for a poster I saw in Loren Looger's
lab (and maybe some online abstracts that Google has not found). Try
contacting Maria at
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/maria-gabriela-paez-segala/61/978/b55 or
Loren at HHMI Janelia Farm for more details.

Sincerely,

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.