CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:43:39 -0500
Subject:
From:
Theresa Swayne <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Gary,

We have used ultrasound gel (which is probably repackaged KY, now that I think about it) but most often we use Genteal eye gel, 0.3% Hypromellose. For overnights we use a cut-off glove finger to stabilize larger amounts of the stuff around the top of the objective. It's still water-based, so it dries up after several hours if you use too little.

http://ecatalog.alcon.com/PI/GenTealSevere_us_en.pdf

Hope this helps,

Theresa

On Nov 19, 2013, at 5:08 PM, "Laevsky, Gary S." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Years ago we used something like Soave hair gel, or something similar, to maintain a tall meniscus for long periods of time (the index was very close to water).  It was also safe for the coatings, or so we thought at the time.
>
> The oils with indices  close to water that are available now are not nearly viscous enough.
>
> Does anybody know of any options?

Theresa C. Swayne, Ph.D.
Manager, Confocal and Specialized Microscopy Shared Resource
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, Columbia University
1130 Saint Nicholas Ave, 222A
New York, NY 10032

212-851-4613

http://hiccc.columbia.edu/research/sharedresources/confocal