CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:03:28 -0600
8bit
From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Renato,

Yes, reflection confocal microscopy works great for this. You may need
to disable a reflection suppression option to get maximum signal
(hopefully a readily visible checkbox in the GUI - for example, the
Leica LAS AF option is harder to find than Zeiss ZEN option). Evaluate
each of your laser lines for best contrast and least noise. Evaluate
different combinations of laser power and detector gain (ex. high laser
power, low gain, assuming the laser line is not noisy). Probably
simplest to leave the pinhole at 1.0 Airy units, though smaller might
result in even better resolution. Hopefully they have controls - there
are usually some background grains that need to be counted. Grains
distributed in Z may or may not be due to 35S. Silver grain size may not
be proportional to the amount of 35S in a given volume - and grain count
may be linear over a limited range (though may not be practical to
evaluate this).

If all the laser lines perform well, you can choose the channel that
gives the best counterstain image in the transmitted light detector.
Note that some counterstains - notably eosin - are also fluorescent. If
you / your colleague want a color transmitted light image, do this with
3 laser lines, such as 458 (Ar), 561 (DPSS), 633 (HeNe). The laser lines
do not need to be perfectly "RGB", just close. To speed up imaging, you
could just acquire two color channels and use one twice, such as 633 nm
for R, and 488 nm for G and B. If the silver grains also show up in the
transmitted light images, not a big deal: you have them in high contrast
in the reflection confocal image. There was a recent article
(Biotechniques?) whose whole point was that they were able to use LacZ
beta galactosidase (BCIP  or NBT/BCIP) product fluorescence confocal
images to identify what black voids were product and what were
irrelevant junk from the specimen.

For image acquisition, more frame averaging is better - since silver
grains will not photobleach, you can average as much as you want (if
this is a core facility, you could maximize revenue by using maximum
averaging).

Hopefully your confocal microscope software include deconvolution (if
you have Leica LAS AF try the different settings). If not, the Bruce and
Butte NVidia CUDA based GPU deconvolution software
http://www.opticsinfobase.org/oe/fulltext.cfm?uri=oe-21-4-4766&id=249375
<http://www.opticsinfobase.org/oe/fulltext.cfm?uri=oe-21-4-4766&id=249375>
is fast and no charge for academic license - just need to complete and
send to Manish the end user license agreement
http://tcell.stanford.edu/software.html
If you use it, do not just accept the -1 (automatic) default for number
of iterations - evaluate different settings. I typically use 100
iterations on a Quadro 2000 card (about 6 seconds for 512x512x32
planes). I just ordered the new GeForce GTX 780 Ti (3 Gb card, about
$700), which I expect will enable me to deconvolve full FLASH4.0
(2048x2048 pixels) fields of view. In addition to X and Y being a power
of two (beneficial for FFTs), Manish and I recently exchanged emails
where they reminded me that Z should also be a power of 2 for both speed
and GPU ram efficiency (probably true of all deconvolution software).

Sincerely,

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.