CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:23:20 -0600

Hi Phil,

Current LED light sources can be brighter and (should have) more stable
light output (and "instant" on/off, and less heat output and less ozone
and no chance of the bulb exploding ... "do not look at top of arc lamp
with remaining eye". Also many LEDs have precise - and reproducible -
voltage control. Purchase price will eventually be made up in total cost
of ownership.

Brighter light sources enable selection of narrower wavelength range,
for example, at the excitation peak of the desired fluorophore (and
hopefully minima of unwanted fluorophores), leaving more room for
emission wavelength range.

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.