CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2013 08:43:45 +0800

>*****
>To join, leave or search the confocal microscopy listserv, go to:
>http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>*****
>
>Dear All,
>
>I made a quick search but found nothing really useful. My question is the
>following: does anyone have some data/literature how efficient microscopes
>are in detecting the photons of a fluorescent sample? Obviously the NA and
>the QE of the camera (plus the performance filters/dichroics) are
>important factors but taken e.g. A single molecule experiment with a 1.49
>NA objective and a back-illuminated EM-CCD what ration of the emitted
>photons really reach the detector? Of course the transmission of the
>objectives and other lenses in the microscopes can vary but is there still
>an estimate?
>
>Thanks     Gabor

Dear Gabor,

Please excuse the plug but you will find many useful references by
looking at the page numbers called out by the entry "Photon
Efficiency" in the Index of the Handbook, Third edition.

It was an item of major interest since the First Edition.

Regards,

Jim Pawley
--
James and Christine Pawley, 5446 Burley Place (PO Box 2348), Sechelt,
BC, Canada, V0N3A0,