CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:00:30 -0600

http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/9/

Zeiss, Chroma and others have "apps for that" - see iThingy store.

 From my comment on Carl Boswell's and my 2006 article's PubMed entry
(readers may need to be logged in to My NCBI to see Comments):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=mcnamara%20boswell

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=16969821

    The PubSpectra dataset of over 2,000 fluorescence spectra is now
    (2013) downloadable in the Excel XLSX file inside a zip archive
    downloadable from

    http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/9/

    The Boswell spectra graphing site described in this paper is defunct
    and has been replaced by Urs Utzinger and Carl Boswell's University
    of Arizona Spectra site

    http://www.spectra.arizona.edu/

    Urs has added additional spectra - especially 2-photon excitation
    spectra - to his web site.

    Several vendors have spectral graphing sites, including (but not
    limited to)

    http://www.semrock.com/searchlight-welcome.aspx

    http://www.chroma.com/spectra-viewer

    LifeTech/Invitrogen/Molecular Probes
    http://www.lifetechnologies.com/us/en/home/life-science/cell-analysis/labeling-chemistry/fluorescence-spectraviewer.html
    instructions:
    http://www.lifetechnologies.com/us/en/home/references/molecular-probes-the-handbook/technical-notes-and-product-highlights/using-the-fluorescence-spectraviewer.html

    Leica http://www.leica-microsystems.com/fluoscout/ (filter sets are
    from Chroma, so may be simpler to use Chroma’s web site)

    BD Biosciences
    http://www.bdbiosciences.com/research/multicolor/spectrum_viewer/index.jsp

    Most of the confocal microscope companies have spectral viewers in
    their software. Zeiss ZEN acknowledges PubSpectra as the source of data.

    Re-using data: This 2006 paper includes a section,

    Data Is Not Copyrightable During the course of developing this data,
    one of us had an epiphany while reading in Lessig (18) about a U.S.
    Supreme Court decision: data is not subject to copyright (14). Text
    and commentary about Feist can be found on many legal web sites by
    doing a Google search. Indeed, the broad availability of the text of
    Supreme Court decisions is because they are not subject to
    copyright. The Feist decision reaffirmed the U.S. Copyright act of
    1976 that "there can be no copyright in facts". The basis for the
    Feist decision can be found in the U.S. Constitution. 14. Feist
    Publications, Inc. v. Rural Tel. Serv. Co. 1991;499 U.S. 340. 18.
    Lessig L. The Future of Ideas. New York: Random House; 2001. p 368.
    For those interested in reference 17, Multi-Probe Microscopy, it is
    available for download at http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/2/

    Now in 2013, I want to reinforce in this PubMed Comment, that: 1.
    Data is not copyrightable (in the United States). 2. I encourage
    re-use of PubSpectra instead of you starting from scratch. 3. If
    anyone wants to "take over" adding data, please go ahead and do so.
    I would love for someone to find money and organizational skills to
    set up a village in India or China - or downtown Troy NY or Detroit
    MI - to hire people to unscan spectra graphs, and add it to "New
    PubSpectra".

Enjoy,

George

--