CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2013

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:56:46 +0100

Not quite sure about powerful, but here are my two cents:

For live cell imaging we often use a regular 12V 100W halogen lamp to
avoid the large UV-peaks of the Hg-lamp, which are pretty much
impossible to filter out completely. In the green range, this usually
results in exposure times about 3x as long as with the Hg lamp. Doesn't
bother us since the process we are looking at is slow.

Anyway, the halogen lamp should be more powerful the more you get
towards the infrared, up to well over 800 nm, see e.g.
http://zeiss-campus.magnet.fsu.edu/articles/lightsources/tungstenhalogen.html
So you might want to give it a try. The other day I used a red DNA stain
(Cy5-Channel), 40x air objective, with the lamp only on 6V and the
signal was still pretty bright. So maybe that would do for your purpose?
Since you probably have all the parts already, you might want to give it
a try.

Steffen

On 22.11.2013 16:33, Judy Trogadis wrote:

> Hi All
>
> This posting of a couple of weeks ago has suddenly become relevant for us.
>
> Does anyone know of a powerful continuous white light source in the 600-800nm range? Emphasis on the word 'powerful' because in most light sources there seems to be a steep drop in power above 650nm.
>
> Thank you,
> Judy
>
> Judy Trogadis
> Bio-Imaging Coordinator
> Keenan Research Centre, St. Michael's
> 209 Victoria Street
> Toronto M5B 1T8, Canada
> office: 416-864-6060 ext. 77612
> imaging facility:           ext. 77434
> cell:        416-254-9330

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Mail room:
Marchioninistr. 15, D-81377 München

Building location: